Monicknew Valley Walk
- Monicknew Forest Recreation Area, Monicknew, Co. Laois
- Download Map (PDF)
- Listed in Loop Walks, Monicknew
- Distance: 1.4kms / 30 mins
- Services: Clonaslee (11km), Mountrath (11km)
- Trail Grade: Easy
- To suit: All levels of fitness
- Terrain: Forestry road & riverside path
- Min. gear: Sturdy walking boots, fluids
- Trail maintenance: firstname.lastname@example.org
This 4km trail is one of three loops which start and finish from the Monicknew forest car park. The trail starts with a stroll through a stand of massive Sitka spruce (nearly 100 years old) and on up to a forest road above. After that there is a slow steady climb for nearly 2 kms after which you will be rewarded with excellent views south over counties Offaly and Laois and of bogs and lakes below. The upper section of the trail can be shrouded in mist regularly, so take suitable clothes with you. Crossing two footbridges will bring you into high spruce once more and the forest road descends down to the car-park to finish.
Note that there is waymarked short cut option which takes out the climb to leave a short and mainly flat 1.25km loop - this is child friendly.
Directions to Monicknew trailhead
Monicknew is about 11.5 km south of Clonaslee on the road to Mountrath via the Cut road. Coordinates: 53.0702 -7.5432.